Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Mommy Style

Becoming a mom can take a toll on your wardrobe.  I am no fashion expert.. ok actually if I had a bajillion dollars I would be, who wouldn't?!  But being on a serious student budget, nursing a baby, and battling with a very serious fear of wasting a really cute outfit on a day in the house (or in high school when you have your favorite outift on and you realize that it's a B day.. which means you just wasted your awesome clothing choice because the boy you like is in your class on A day), can be frustrating. 

Longest sentance ever.  Sorry.

This is simply my opinion, but I think it's important to still feel cute and good about yourself after becoming a mom.  That doesn't mean you have to be someone elses version of pretty or feel like you have to spend hours on yourself.  But we don't have to turn into this....


Unless you want to and mom jeans make you feel pretty.  In that case, own it, girlfriend.  You rock those mom jeans!

I also think it's important not to be judgmental of how other people choose to dress after becoming a mom, or before for that matter.  Even if they want to wear said mom jeans, honestly, who cares?  On the other hand, I was at a playgroup about a year ago and one of the women there told me that she feels that putting on makeup means neglecting your children.  I'm not kidding, that is exactly what she said.  So that made me think, "ok, am I a bad mom because I spend a good 7 minutes putting my makeup on?"  Um, NO.  Either way, to each his own.  Your kids will survive whether you get ready or not.

For me, I knew I wouldn't be happy lounging in my pj's all day.  I put my makeup on, do my hair, and throw on a cute t-shirt and jeans.  T's are my favorite right now because nursing a baby with a flowy or bulky top on is not happening.  My style has become simple and functional, and easy to pull up and down if you know what I mean.

  Loving this shirt

If I'm leaving the house, I put on some boots or my Toms and earings.  Nothing too spectacular, but I feel good and comfortable.  I do have cute, flowy tops that are reserved for special occassions, like grocery shopping.  Just kidding sort of. 

The biggest thing I've learned is to reserve the money I do have for shopping for things I really want.  With Aubree, I bought a lot of really cheap things for myself that ended up not working or were too frilly or bulky.  My favorite stores right now are Shade and Gap.  However, JCrew is calling my name.  Darn you, JCrew with your beautiful, functional, overpriced sweaters.  Anyways, being a mom doesn't mean sacrificing your self image.  You just might have to re-define it! 

No comments: